Wednesday, March 6, 2013

What I Read Wednesday

This was kind of a sad week of reading for me. There are a few reasons. One, I'm kind of stalled on library requests. I have about eight books in my queue right now, but apparently the people ahead of me are really slow readers because they're just sitting there. Two, I've been super busy at work, gearing up for our first round of standardized tests so my normal silent reading time has been spent doing other things. However, I still managed to read two really good books.

After Visiting Friends: A Son's Story
I don't read a great deal of non-fiction, but I've been intrigued by this one since I first heard about it. A man grows up and realizes that the details of his father's death don't quite add up and begins to look into them as he's older. Without giving away too many details, the amount of coverups in this story and the lengths the friends of his father are willing to go to years and years after his death to keep the details from his son and the rest of his family are baffling. It's an interesting look at the stories people weave and the thoughts that so many people lead lives that are not quite what they seem on the surface. This is definitely one that I would recommend reading, whether or not you're someone who frequently reads non-fiction or memoirs.


The Fifth Assassin
This is the sequel to the Inner Circle, which I blogged about in this post. Like The Inner Circle, it's a good vacation type read. I was drawn into the story of Beecher and secret societies. I liked this book better than the first, actually. I found that it had a stronger, more exciting momentum. From the ending, I assume that there will be at least one more in this series and I'm definitely interested in reading it.

What did you read this week? Obviously I need more recommendations! I plan on starting Schroder tonight. I've been waiting on this one from the library for awhile now, so I'll be reviewing it next week.

6 comments:

mrscov10 said...

Stephanie Meyers The Host. Don't know if you've read it ( just started following you and only got as far back as Insurgent....which is an absolute favorite!!!), but it's decent.

mrscov10 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mrscov10 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Totally living this series! I'm a slave to non-fiction but need a break! Coming back for inspiration!

One crazed mommy said...

I've just started reading The Angry Woman Suite by Lee Fullbright. I haven't really read enough to tell much about it, or if it's going to be any good - I forgot what it was about (I read the overview about 6 weeks ago, but didn't refresh myself before starting it.) It's been a slow reading week for me as well.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain and The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton.