Monday, February 2, 2009

Rub Me The Right Way

I have a confession. When I was pregnant with Luke, I lied about something through my entire pregnancy. I lied about this something because it's basically the pregnant woman party line, and well, I didn't want to let my fellow fecund sisters down. But I don't think I can keep living a lie, so I hope this doesn't get me kicked out of the club. Are you ready for the truth? Can you HANDLE the truth?

I like having my belly touched. I like having it patted and rubbed and ahh'd over. When I was pregnant with Luke, I tried to hate it. I rolled my eyes when people would mention it like I hated it. But I didn't. I couldn't! And so the other day, when I got my first belly touch from the treasurer at work, I had to admit to myself that I really loved it. Granted, I've never had a stranger touch my belly. I can see how that would bug, but really, who likes to be touched by strangers--pregnant or not?

When friends and family touch my stomach, I know they do it out of love. I know they do it because they can't wait to hold this baby, and right now, touching my stomach is the closest they can get. I'm happy to share that with him, but that doesn't mean that I don't understand women who don't like the touching. So instead, if groping pregnant women is what you like, this one is open for business!

12 comments:

Mommy Mo said...

I liked having my belly touched during pregnancy too! Now, not so much : ).

Anonymous said...

Oh, you're a wild one, Erin! I am with you 100%. It's been quite a while since I was pregnant, but I loved the reaction, the wide eyes, the wonder of someone touching my belly... it was sacred, like an ancient ritual. I mean, no-one EVER touches a non-pregnant tummy, right? Right! It's the BABY that creates such happiness, and the touch means so much to the giver. I think moms who get all "no-way" over this simple act of appreciating the wondrous circle of life are more upset at being touched themselves than understanding the beauty of the giver somehow experiencing and loving this new miracle THROUGH the mom.

Barry and I were teaching at the same school when I was pregnant with both Audrey and Jane... and that gave co-workers double the permission to touch! Even the MEN touched.

Of course it is important to exercise caution when a total stranger wants to touch your tummy... but other than that, I think it's a beautiful compliment that people feel so close to you and your precious bundle!

Rebecca Baker-Palmer said...

you know, i really liked it, too! i would see these women wearing the "hands off" shirts, and i would think, "but WHY?!?!" i am with you 100%!

Anonymous said...

I liked it too!!!
Having strangers, no matter where I went, get happy and rub my belly was oh so nice. :)

J.D. said...

Do you really?! Someone at work touched my stomach & this was the 1st time ever since I was never pregnant before...I didn't really like it :( Maybe because I just feel FAT still. Maybe it will change when my stomach gets bigger, who knows

Kim said...

I like it too. As long as it is someone I know. Strangers, yeah, not so much.
But I love the energy that comes to my baby when loved ones rub my belly. It is great bonding for them and the baby.
Rub on baby :)

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I know just what you mean!!!

Steph

Christy M. said...

I liked it too. As long as it wasn't some weirdo stranger in an elevator or something. Just sayin' :)

Live it up, girl!!!

Jen S. said...

I HATED having my belly touched. Pure, unadulterated, HATE. So next time I'm pregnant, I'll send my would-be belly touchers over to you! :)

Mimi's Toes said...

Oh, how cute...I am sending cyberspace belly rubs right now...do you feel them? OOH, "she" just kicked me!
Ok, you wanted a letter to play the game, so I am giving you the letter "G" for girl, cause that's what I think you are having....

Jenni said...

I liked it, too. :-D

Anonymous said...

I loved it too!