Thursday, December 2, 2010

Here And Now

Today I am home from work for the zillionth time this year with a sick Tommy. I feel like I've been gloom and doom lately and each week I say, Wow. That was a rough week. Like, I've been saying this since the first week of October, but truthfully, they HAVE been rough weeks. I don't know why. I guess this is our season of sad and sick and hard, although I am still happy, I am also very sad. It's weird how the two can coexist, isn't it?

I thought it'd be fun to live blog our day, because I never get to do these things and I am always wishing I can. So here I am!

7:30

I'm drinking my second (big) cup of coffee (with Sweet Buttercream creamer, of course) while Tommy vacuums. Almost every single day, he runs to the closet and gets out the blue vacuum that Luke got for Christmas last year. He loves to vacuum, too. It's a big deal that he's doing it today, because the last two days, he's been this miserably sick shadow of himself and has just laid around. My house is a really huge mess and I'm behind on laundry, so I'm hoping to get caught up today. But also, I have season three of Dexter (which I am seriously in love with) and I'm kind of hoping to sit and watch that, too.
Tommy just crawled in my lap to nurse and is waving bye bye, which means that he wants to go take a nap. I should nap with him, but I will probably clean (or watch TV). What are you up to today?
DSC_0539
(Tommy is blurry because my camera is a dumb jerk and focused on the vacuum instead of him, but also because he is a very fast vacuumer.)

8:30

Tommy is down for his nap, and I am hoping that today he will not wake up with a fever. Fevers in kids are always scary, but it's been very scary with Tommy because for me the fever chill induced shaking and the glassy stare was too much like a seizure. I just did a super quick clean of the house, which is seriously so messy. I picked up dirty clothes from every room and had enough clothes to fill an entire load of laundry. It's so bad when everyone is sick! Luckily, I am caught up on towels and sheets. I am going to mop the kitchen floor, then fold the two clean loads of laundry I have. Not very exciting, but much MUCH better than being at work. I just went through the mail from this week and found a Subway ad, which makes me very much want a giant sub RIGHT NOW. I wish Subway delivered.

10:30

Tommy just woke up from his nap crying, which is not normal for Tommy.

See? He was nursing and still had sad little tears slipping out of his eye. However, as I was uploading this picture, he got done and proceeded to maniacally throw every piece of folded clothing out of the basket and over his shoulder, which is normal for Tommy. Now he's upstairs playing with Luke's trains (Luke is at the sitter today), which means that I should probably refold the clothes, huh?
I just checked my online bank information and my last four debits have been from Papa John's and Dairy Queen. I think this means that I have a problem, except that eating awesome food is really not so much a problem as it is a big huge win and seriously, I wish I had pizza and a Blizzard right now. Why am I SO HUNGRY today?

15 comments:

Unknown said...

He is so darn cute!

We are home today too. Our first day with no commitments and I haven't been feeling well the last couple of days. It feels nice to be lazy. I too am behind on housework, but that's nothing new. I think I'm gonna tackle our laundry as well and if I am really ambitious, sweep and mop the kitchen/dining room.

I've always wanted to live blog, but I am certain I would get 2 entries in and forget I was doing it. I'm pretty flighty and forgetful these days! Lol

I hope your days get better as each one goes by. You are awesome and deserve a break.

Have a good day!

Kaycee said...

Oh fun! (the live blog post, not the sick and the laundry obviously)

I am glad Tommy is starting to feel better! You have had a rough couple of months here but I love that you can be happy and sad instead of just sad. It's so important to be able to focus on the good and enjoy what you can during hard times.

Also, I hope it was an easy lesson plan day for you. I always have sympathy for teachers with sick kids, it's so hard to be gone from our job without it being MORE work to be gone than to be there!

Kate at Big City Belly said...

Yay! I'll be checking in all day.

Tristina said...

I love this idea! I just kept a note open on my phone all day when I did it then transcribed it all that night. This is a way better idea!

It makes me want to come over and bring you brownies and help you clean!

Zakary said...

I'm emailing you right now. I have some questions for you!

TexasBobbi said...

Poor guy and poor mommy. Sounds like you need a vacation to a warm tropical place.

Unknown said...

Aw, poor sweet Tommy. I hope you can all be well and get back into your routine soon. Although then the holidays will be here! Sending you hugs and wishing I could bring you a blizzard. My favorite is Oreo. Yum!

Mendie said...

hope the rest of your day is going well, and the tears have dried up!

keli [at] kidnapped by suburbia said...

oh poor tommy. and poor momma. i hope you were able to snuggle down and get a nap together. screw the housework.

Heather said...

I am glad that he woke up crying...okay not really, but from your flickr stream I thought maybe he cracked himself in the head with the vacuum and that would be sad.

Miss Mary said...

Hello! We don't know each other in real life, but I found your blog awhile ago when I was thinking that maybe I should be a teacher, and I googled "teacher blogs" and yours came up! Anyway, I just wanted to say that I enjoy stopping by here, and that I think you have a great spirit. I have been thinking about Tommy a lot and sending prayers your way. Anyway, just wanted to say hello, and hang in there--I think you are an amazing mother!

Sharon - Mom Generations said...

Some day you'll look back at these words in this blog and Tommy will be off to college and your house will be all neat and clean, your laundry will ALWAYS be done and you'll be the one vacuuming! (Just kidding about the house, laundry and vacuuming... that's NEVER all done.) But I'm not kidding about the kids... because they are babies for such little time... so do what you're doing and LOVE them like you do... because THEY will never forget your arms and heart and spirit and laughter and love. xo

InTheFastLane said...

Your yesterday sounds a lot like my today. Except staying home with a sick 11 year old is simple (except for that damn seizure worry...gosh are we twins or what???).

Haven't gotten off the couch yet, just enjoying being home. Sometimes you just have to count your blessings and mine is that my house is warm and I am in it in my yoga pants ;)

E said...

This post made me sad for sick boys and laugh at the same time! I hope your day is a good one, even though you're at home with a sick baby.

Anonymous said...

You stopped at 10:30. How all is well.