Wednesday, March 18, 2015

What I Read Wednesday

I am basically failing at reading lately for a myriad of reasons and that's sad.

The Word Exchange
This book was tough. I almost put it down several times, but I liked the premise and wasn't sure if my lack of attention was hurting my involvement with the book. In a future society, books are all but meaningless. People read on devices called a Meme, which not only functions as a messaging device but is so much more. The meme also offers something called a word exchange, which will help you think of the meaning of a word or the name of something if you're coming up short. When the word exchange first rolled out, people were using it mostly for multi-syllabic obscure words. After a few years of usage, people were using it to look up words like "rotten," so far removed from complex thought. This book is told from two perspectives: Anana, the daughter of Doug, a staunch supporter of the written word, and Bart, Doug's mentee and editor of the dictionary. As the story evolves, Doug disappears and Anana is unwavering in finding her father. Meanwhile, the world is becoming gripped with word flu--a virus that causes people to replace common words with meaningless words. This virus has severe consequences, deadly for some, rendering others mute. Although I felt this book could've had a better flow, it definitely made me think about humanity and our reliance on technology. When is it too much?

Cold Cold Heart
After Word Exchange, I needed a book where I did not have to think. Dana Nolan, a beautiful TV reporter, is nearly the ninth victim of a serial killer, named Doc Holiday by the media. Through her own strength, Dana survives the ordeal, killing Doc Holiday. Although she survives, her injuries are quite severe. Not only is she disfigured, but she also has a traumatic brain injury. Brought home to heal, Dana is thrust into the world she left behind after high school, a world which involves trying to solve a cold case--the disappearance of her best friend shortly after the two graduated from high school. Paranoid and not sure who to trust, Dana struggles to make sense of what happened to her best friend and why, all the while dealing with memory loss and struggling to cope with her new self. This was a quick, easy read. Some plot holes and things that I found hard to believe, but I breezed through it, which was exactly what I needed.

What are you reading?

6 comments:

Barb Ruess said...

I've read a couple of books lately that fall into that easy category. Nice excuses to just follow somewhat unbelievable coincidences and just enjoy the story and characters:
- A Fall of Marigolds (I liked this one far more than I expected. A lovely story.)
- Night Blindness (This one surprised me too with how strongly the lead character grabbed me.)

Theresa Mahoney said...

The Word Exchange. That does make one question when is technology too much? I bought a Kindle a few years back. Probably only read 5 books total on it. I just prefer the feel of a book in my hands to go all digital. Call me old school.

Lyndsay W said...

Finished Adult Onset by Ann Marie MacDonald. I... liked it. Not a lot, but... I liked it.

Now I'm reading The Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes. So far it's a fun, easy read.

Hope your household feels better soon! xo

One crazed mommy said...

I have not picked up my book in over a week due to life...I am ready for it to slow down!!!
Barb - I downloaded A Fall of Marigolds and am looking forward to reading that one soon - good to hear you enjoyed it.

Barb Ruess said...

Oh I hope you do enjoy A Fall of Marigolds! I really liked the parallel story lines and the ties between the two women. And I loved the ending.

Unknown said...

I just started The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain. It was a recommendation from my mom.