Wednesday, March 4, 2015

What I Read Wednesday

The Humans: A Novel
Becky recommended this book, and I loved it. An alien visits Earth and takes over the body of Professor Andrew Martin, a math professor who had just solved a thought to be unsolvable math theory. The alien is originally disgusted by humans. By the way they eat, talk, wear clothes and have pets. But as time goes on, he starts to love wine, peanut butter sandwiches, dogs and, well, being a human. He makes connections with friends and family, much to the dismay of his otherworldly hosts who can't fathom that he'd trade immortality for humanity.

Please Ignore Vera Dietz
Vera has one friend, Charlie. Or had, because Vera is reeling after Charlie's tragic death. She knows more about his death than anyone, but after he betrayed her shortly before his death, she is reluctant to share. This story has a brilliant, engaging voice, told mainly from Vera but occasionally from Charlie and Vera's dad, as well. Vera sets out to explore her own life in the process of coming to terms with Charlie's death, and it is both touching and humorous.

What are you reading?

5 comments:

Barb Ruess said...

I read Watch Me Go last week and it was so enjoyable to watch how the two characters' stories came together.

And then I picked up a really long book that I haven't finished yet :)

Unknown said...

I am reading Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. It's great so far.

InTheFastLane said...

Andrew told me that I should read The Humans. It is on my list. Currently reading My Sunshine Away (thank you) after crying through the end of Still Alice this weekend.

One crazed mommy said...

I finished Big Little Lies a few days ago - loved it, but I love Liane Moriarty's writing style. I think this was my favorite of hers so far. I just started reading The Language of Hoofbeats by Catherine Ryan Hyde - never heard of her before, but the book sounded interesting.

Theresa Mahoney said...

I picked up The King by J.R. Ward just to continue on with the series. I'm not one for romance novels, but I appreciate the humor in her writing, so this series kind of stuck with me.