Sunday, February 20, 2011

Fierce and Four

Four years ago, it was another grey February day. I was nearing the 17th hour of labor and wondering if I was ever going to have a baby.

Three hours later, I had him and it seemed like he'd always been here.

These past four years, I've yelled more than I ever intended. I fed him more sugar than I should. I've lost my patience and found frustration too often.
But I've also found laughter, hugs, and a reason to get out of bed each and every morning. As we closed in from two to three, I could see that the threes were going to be terrifying and tumultuous. And they were. But closing in on the fours, I see that they're going to be fierce and fabulous.

The constantly asserted independence has calmed down a bit. The temper tantrums? I hardly remember them (except that Tommy throws approximately 25 a DAY so it's not like I could really forget). Instead I have a little boy who owns his opinions. A little boy who tells me I look beautiful almost every single day. A little boy who hands me his very own camera and tells me to take his birthday picture, while rocking this pose:

010

A little boy who had a last minute downsized birthday party but still declared it to be the best party ever

067

Who blew out his candle, then told us that we needed to clap for him

076
It's going to be a good year.

22 comments:

Katy said...

Did he save me any cake? WANT. Happy Birthday, Luke!

Cameron said...

I hope it is a fierce and fabulous year for you all! Happy birthday, Luke!!

corrin said...

Happy Birthday! I approve of the cake.

Shellipants said...

He looks so grown up! Good job on raising such a great little man!

Crooked Eyebrow said...

What a man! Happy Birthday Like! It is going to be a good year!

V said...

Love this!
Wow. It's scary/crazy how fast they grow up!
And we are right in the middle (almost) of the threes. Yeah, terrifying is the right word.
Happy Birthday, Luke!

Katie said...

Oh my gosh! Too cute! He's getting so big so fast!

InTheFastLane said...

4 and 5 are my favorites.

He looks so proud to be 4!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Your son is adorable.

My daughter turns 4 on March 19th and I can't believe it.

Kristen said...

He's getting so big! What a cute young man :-)

Anonymous said...

A very happy birthday to Luke!! Four is pretty stinkin' awesome!!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Happy Birthday Luke!!!

Erin said...

Best spam comment EVER.

Lyndsay said...

Happy Birthday Luke - you will ROCK being 4!

Katie said...

Happy Birthday Luke! Here's to fantastic & fun four!

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

Happy Birthday Luke! Man that kid is going to be a heartbreaker when he grows up! :)

keli [at] kidnapped by suburbia said...

happy birthday, luke!!!!!! you're such an awesome kid, and i hope you have a fabulous year, buddy.

swonderful said...

happy birthday luke! he is growing so big and handsome and kid-like and FOUR looking.

Kate at Big City Belly said...

Happy Birthday, Luke!!

Unknown said...

Love it! That cake looks delicious. Luke's the perfect mix of you and Shane. Happy Birthday to your new 4 year old!! xo

Such The Spot said...

He tells you you're beautiful? Jayce does that too. Melts me every time.

Happy Birthday Luke! And mom!

Kaycee said...

I adore this post - happy birthday Luke!!