Monday, February 14, 2011

My Funny Valentines

Growing up, I was always quietly envious of the girls who, on Valentine's Day, would navigate the halls arms laden with balloons, flowers, and stuffed animals. I was never dating anyone on Valentine's Day until Shane came along, but still, I loved Valentine's Day. I could always count on a box of chocolates or a flower or some other small item to be sitting next to my plate at dinner on Valentine's Day. I love my parents for this.

This morning, on my way to work, I was angry at my Valentine's Day. Angry because my phone took a swim in water, angry because I was rushing around this morning, angry because I was late to work already when Luke asked me to play Go Fish with him and I had to tell him no. Angry because my pants are tight and they're the only pair of dress pants I have that fit. Angry because I bought Shane a book that he really wanted for Valentine's Day, only to have him come home with the exact book after a trip to the library Saturday. Angry because I felt like I should've done more for Valentine's Day, made little baskets to drop on friends' porches, made treats for co-workers.

I thought about all of this and then I realized that I can't do it all in one day. Instead what if I live each day like Valentine's Day? Instead of trying to cram all the goodness and surprises and chocolates into one day, what if I spread them out and let the days that need that extra little bit of love find it? The special thing about today, the really special thing, is that my three valentine's, the friends I wanted so badly to give gifts to, the treats that weren't made... all of the people, all of things, they're in my life the other 364 days of the year, too, and if I can't let them know today what they mean to me, there's always tomorrow.

I bought him this shirt on clearance last year. I couldn't imagine him being big enough to wear a 18-24 month outfit, but here we are. So big. My littlest Valentine.

Today I sent Luke off to the sitter with a mailbox full of Toy Story valentines for his friends. He was so excited that he talked about it all weekend. He's staying a little later tonight so they can have a party and I can't wait to pick him up and hear all about it. He's so big these days.



Yesterday, my one and only Valentine made breakfast for dinner, my very favorite.

10 comments:

E said...

Happy Valentine's day! Sweet pics of your babies!
Man, my daughter is a big girl! She's 4 months younger than T and is wearing 2T clothes!

Crooked Eyebrow said...

being your friend is like getting a valentine year round.

xoxo

Unknown said...

I love this & it's SO true! Living every day like valentine's sounds like a good way to change things, too. :)

*Lissa* said...

Great outlook, Erin! Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours!

april said...

I second what D said.

Unknown said...

We had Toy Story valentine cards here too (of course). AND, I also called K my "littlest valentine" on FB today. Great minds. :)

I love your sentiment here about how we can LOVE one another all the other days of the year too.

Happy Valentine's Day. :)

TexasBobbi said...

I hope your day was great and did Luke love his party.

InTheFastLane said...

AND AND AND....You were my grocery fairy, which is just another way to say "I Love you"!

Sharon - MomGenerations said...

Beautiful post, beautiful friend. Happy Valentine's Day... because it really IS every day! xo

Kaycee said...

I was always quietly envious of those girls too. I didn't need something every year, but just once would have been fun. And those candy gram things you could send your friends? I always sent them to everyone (especially those who were single) but never got them. Such a silly little thing. I hope your Valentine's Day ended much happier than it started!