Wednesday, May 27, 2015

What I Read Wednesday

The Turner House
The Turners are a cornerstone on Yarrow St in Detroit, long after the city crumbles around them. Home to thirteen children, the Turner house sees a lot over the years. Errant children, strong relationships, broken relationships, a city on a downslide. The book bounces between present day with the Turner children grown up and the past, with their parents just beginning to build their marriage. At times, it was hard for me to follow which character was speaking and in which time frame, but overall, I enjoyed this book.


Before I Go
Not yet 30, Daisy is diagnosed with Stage IV cancer and given 4-6 months to live, maybe more if a clinical trial is successful. Having already beat breast cancer once, Daisy thought she was done with cancer. Daisy isn't really troubled with the thought of dying, as much as she is the thought of being gone. Who will clean her husband's dirty socks and keep the refrigerator organized in her absence? With these thoughts, she sets forth to do one thing before she dies: find her husband a new wife--but this only makes the thought of losing him that much more painful. What I loved about this book was that it didn't focus on Daisy dying, instead it focused on her living those last few days.

What are you reading?

5 comments:

Barb Ruess said...

I enjoyed Before I Go as well - the perspective was a good one and I thought it had a very engaging voice.

This week I managed to read Lila, the third of the Gilead companion books. Like the other two books, I just found it okay. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind for these books but I like my introspection with a little more activity.

Lyndsay W said...

I am reading and enjoying Wild. Yes, Wild. I am probably the last female in North America to do so.

Captcha Code - I got to select all the food from the collection of pictures of food and booze! Love it! Last time I had to pick out the hamburgers!

InTheFastLane said...

I finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King and am desperately waiting for the next book in the "trilogy." In the meanwhile, I am reading At the Waters Edge by Sara Gruen. I am liking it more and more as it goes on. At first I found all the characters unlikable - which was kind of the point.

Theresa Mahoney said...

OMG, I am not sick, but Before I Go sounds like something that I think all the time. If I were to die today, who would do the dishes? Would the kids learn how to do their own laundry? Would the house go to hell? I don't think I'd set off to find Jason a new wife, but I'd totally encourage him not to grieve too long so he could find someone else to make him happy (and keep up the house lol).

I just finished One Plus One. Good book, but I didn't like it nearly as much as Me Before You.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I *just * ordered Turner House and then read this. Trying to stock up on my summer reads as I've fallen way behind.

Steph