Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Light and Sound

For the past two years, a rainbow sighting makes me think immediately of sweet baby Joel and his mama. Because life is unbelievably sad and sometimes so hard for us to understand, I now think of baby Delia, too.

Delia breathed her first and last breaths on the same day, her mama a high school friend with a heart so kind and pure that you can't imagine why such pain would be brought to her. It was, though, and on the day that Delia went to Heaven, the sky was painted with rainbows. We saw one, people in many other states saw one. Delia's earthly life was short, but she left her mark in so many ways.

Leaving the house yesterday morning, I saw this rainbow. It stretched from one end of the field to the next, so perfect that we could see each end touching down in the field. It was so big that I couldn't fit it all in the viewfinder of my phone, fumbling to hurry and snap the picture before it was gone.


By the time we got in the car, it was gone. Then, ten minutes into our drive, it was back. Stretching across the road, ends shimmering in the tall fields of corn. Breathtaking.


I know the science behind rainbows, of course. I know the explanation and yet. This world is so filled with sadness and a lack of understanding that the simple fact that something so beautiful can exist, can arch and paint the sky with colors gives us the freedom to suspend our beliefs. To believe in the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, to know that a hand that never held a brush on earth holds the brush in Heaven and paints the sky for everyone who was left behind. Simply, to hope.

12 comments:

Adam said...

Thank you, Erin.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I hold on to the meaning that it's God's promise of Peace. And it's so true. Remind me to tell you about my dream next time I see you. Too long for a comment! That first photo is AMAZING!

Steph

Katy said...

I needed that reminder. Thank you.

Becky said...

Science and maybe a little of something else.
Rainbows are amazing.

Kirsten said...

Do you see the double rainbow in your second picture? It's there. And yes, rainbows are a sign of hope.

Crooked Eyebrow said...

I saw the same rainbow and thought the same.

(yours written way better than what i had in my head)

:)

james and michele said...

oh. love. thank you erin.

Anna said...

Beautiful.

Tristina said...

Tears.

Thank you.

Jen S. said...

Beautiful! I have similar thoughts about shooting stars. When I lost my baby last year, I saw a shooting star that night as I waited for the miscarriage to complete. I'm convinced that was the moment she went up to heaven. (although scientists would rather me believe that there happened to be a meteor shower that night.) Now whenever I see a shooting star it makes me think of my unborn child. This post is a beautiful tribute. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Unknown said...

I am so sorry for your friend. So very, very sorry. Praying for her.

Unknown said...

Such beautiful words here Erin. They give comfort.

And that first photo is pretty amazing. Wow.