Friday, August 26, 2011

Making the Grade

In my seven years as a teacher, I've graded a million papers. Made smiley faces. Check marks. Plusses, minuses, and all the letters from A to F (minus E, of course). At this point, it's all so routine that I could probably grade papers in my sleep.

Still, nothing prepared me for the way my heart would swoop when I pulled my big boy's first ever graded paper out of his backpack.



I think I'll hang onto this, to soothe my soul ten years from now when he brings home an F on an English exam.

6 comments:

keli [at] kidnapped by suburbia said...

*sob* that is so sweet!!

i think emma will start getting "grades" this year in K4, and I'm going to keel over when she gets a star.

Bari said...

He got a star AND a smiley face! I don't think F's are in his future :)

Foursons said...

Wow, he got a star, a smiley face, AND a comment. He did REALLY well!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh. I love this : )
Congratulations to your baby on his beautiful Star worthy paper. That is the best : )

InTheFastLane said...

Hang on to the first one. It is so special. And then one day, you will wonder why teachers use so much paper and kill so many trees, but the first one? Awesome! :)

Kaycee said...

Oh SO sweet!! That's definitely a keeper!

I never thought about being on the other side of grading before - oh my that is coming! Yikes. :)