Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Outside

Although the weather is still not as warm as I'd like, we have had decent enough weather to spend some time outdoors. Thank goodness!

One of our favorite things at this time of year is the wetlands behind our house. Everything is so green and alive right now. What starts out as wetlands flows into a creek behind the field, where there is fortunately a walking trail. We're probably trespassing on someone's property, but fortunately, there are no signs or houses or anything back there to tell us otherwise.

On our walk back, Tommy was determined to navigate the field but kept falling. He held Shane's hand and was so very serious about each step he took.

The crazy robin who built a nest in my basket of flowers laid two eggs Saturday, followed by one more egg Sunday, and another Monday. I sincerely hope that the process of laying an egg isn't like labor, becuase OUCH. That's a long time.
DSC_0164
I worry that she's not protected enough from predators, because I keep thinking that any sort of animal could jump up and get her and her babies. Thanks to the flowers still growing around her, she does seem pretty sheltered. She popped her head up when she heard me at the door taking photos; normally, you can't even see her.
DSC_0162

22 comments:

pinkflopflops44 said...

those eggs are beautiful!

Bari said...

I love your robin! Her eggs are so pretty - and I'm with you, I hope it didn't hurt her like babies hurt us.

We've had a duck for 3 years now that nests in the dumbest places in our yard. Twice under our deck and once under a bush. We saw her and Mr. Duck the other day but haven't found their nest yet. Hopefully you will get to see Robin's babies - our duck has never let me see hers. Hatches them in the middle of the night and then they leave for water. It's so unfair.

Tara said...

Oh my! Look at those robin's eggs! They are so vibrant and beautiful!

BindiM said...

Those blue eggs are divine! Love it. I think that they would be beautiful framed.

deb duty said...

Oh wow! The eggs are so pretty and she sure builds a neat nest! I hope we get to see baby bird pics from you soon! I just posted some on my blog yesterday from a nest built in a grill.

Regina Lynn said...

That nest capture is amazing! Complement your momma robin on what beautiful eggs she lays, for me!

Kassandra said...

The bird's nest is AMAZING! I can't believe how blue those eggs are! What a special something to have around.

shellycoulter said...

Love the eggs shot. They look so fake. Beautiful shots! :)

Kaycee said...

What a gorgeous area to have behind your house! We have a paved walking path that runs behind our house through a nature preserve and it's so lovely to be able to just hop on it and go walking. The blue of those eggs are beautiful!! But I agree, I hope laying eggs is not like labor, if it is - poor robin!

Stacia said...

Teeny bird eggs always remind me just how precious and fragile life is. So, so sweet.

Alana Jo said...

Those robins eggs are BEAUTIFUL!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I had heard the term "Robin's egg blue" before but didn't realize it was because they really are that blue! (duh?!) They are so pretty!

Heather said...

both tommy AND shane look very serious about every step they take :-)

Unknown said...

Wow, that egg shot is amazing! SO BLUE!! They almost don't look real. Nature is so awesome... :)

Jamie Kubeczka said...

That is so neat about the eggs.. so pretty!

Laura said...

Those eggs are amazing - I now want to paint my entire house that color. ;)

Sally @DrinkingFromMySaucer said...

Beautiful eggs! We have a robin nesting in the top of the wreath on our front porch. She is up too high for me to see into the nest, though. Enjoy your vantage point!

Cindy said...

those eggs are gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. Those are the prettiest eggs. How absolutely lovely. I am glad you can go out into the woods with your family. I know that is a fun adventure for sure!

Mendie said...

amazing color of those eggs....great shot!

Kristen said...

Are all the photos SOOC this week? The blue on the eggs is amazing.

tina modotti said...

Wow those eggs are blue!