Thursday, September 3, 2009

Luke's Story


(I hate that stupid pug pillow and every time I try to get rid of it or move it elsewhere, Shane revolts. Sigh.)

Shane is still working on Tommy's birth story (or he hasn't started yet, tomato, tomahto), but lately, Luke and I have been talking more and more about the night Tommy was born. Right after it happened, Luke wouldn't talk about it, to the point where I thought he just didn't get any of it. I think that he was just so overwhelmed by everything that happened that he couldn't put it into words.

Luke can't type, so I'm transcribing for him! He told me that first, I played on the pink basketball. Very true, as before he went to bed, I was bouncing on my pink birth ball. He kept pushing me off and saying it was his turn. Then he told me that I was loud and woke him up but "you didn't have baby yet, no," and it was very dark. Next he told me that mama had ouchies, then he saw Tommy's head and then his baby brother or sister (he still says that sometimes, after spending nine months saying that he was having a baby brother or sister) was here. After that the firemen came in the big red truck and the yellow clothes because "firemen help people." Mommy went in the little red truck (the ambulance) and Grammy brought Luke in to see mama and baby. After that, Luke rode in Mommy's blue car with Daddy and Papa (side note: my dad drove because Shane was so flustered that he tried to put Luke in Tommy's carseat, ha!) to the hospital where all the other babies had hats. So far, the story ends with him saying that he held Tommy. Oh, and sometimes he asks where all the other babies went, referring to the babies he saw in the nursery. We tell them they went home with their mommys and daddys, and he says they must be happy. I tell him they are, but not as happy as he and Tommy are.

I love his version of Tommy's birth so much that we talk about it every single day.

16 comments:

Tina said...

how sweet :)

TexasBobbi said...

That is precious.

E said...

That is awesome. :)

Cameron said...

This is super sweet! Although you know that he's ruined, now... when he grows up and gets married and his wife is in labor, he'll be all, "What's the big deal? My mom just squatted on the stairs, jeez, don't be dramatic. Why are you screaming?" LOL... of course you'll raise him to be far nicer than that to his future wife, but you know what I mean! :)

Bacardi Mama said...

I love this story. Luke is a real sweetie.

Mommy Mo said...

That is so sweet! What a great idea to get "his" story down.

Sharon - Mom Generations said...

This is so beautiful and sweet and perfect. I love Luke's story, too!

Nicole @ WhenDidIBecomeMyMom.com said...

What a memory. It's great that you captured it from his point of view for him - for the future. The things that make an impression on kids - the babies all had hats. What a sweet little boy.

Unknown said...

Oh they're so sweet together (love your comment about the pillow - HA!)

I'm glad he keeps talking about it and that you even get to hear about it from his perspective. So sweet!

Anonymous said...

That is the sweetest story ever. I love when kids tell stories, it's so much better then the way we interpret it.

Courtney said...

That is such a great story and so sweet that he was there and able to remember the experience!

I have been struggling lately with whether to have my kids present (but not in the room) when i give birth because the birthing center is a 30 mins (or less if i am in active labor lol) drive from our home and i dont think i want them that far away. I want them to be the first after Mommy and Daddy to meet their new brother.

The Fritz Facts said...

How wonderfully sweet is he!

Lyndsay said...

OMG! That totally reminds me that I have not seen my little red pillow with the hearts on it that I love and Hubby hates! What did he DO with it?!

Oh, but this was supposed to be about you and how sweet your little man is... very, VERY cute! I love the "little brother or sister". Awesome!

april said...

Aww! That is so so cute!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

This is adorable! I love it!

Christy M. said...

He is so sweet! I'm glad he seems to have good memories of Tommy's birth!