Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Golden Brown

I've lived in this house for seven years. We have a field behind us, which is kind of a blessing for this girl who grew up in the country and really, really doesn't belong in suburbia (really is an understatement--just ask my neighbors).

For the first time since I've lived here, the farmer planted winter wheat. It's been wonderful. It was green in the winter when everything was brown and as everything turned green in the spring, it turned a beautiful shade of gold. When the wind would blow, it would wave and honestly, I would be so happy if he planted only winter wheat for the rest of forever. I much prefer this to corn because when there's corn, I spend every night thinking, "OH GOD WHAT IF THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE CORN FIELD WHEN I GO OUTSIDE IN THE DARK AND IT COMES RUNNING OUT AND EATS ME?!?!" I am not exaggerating.

Anyway, my own issues aside, I knew that the wheat would be gone soon because such is the life of winter wheat. I wanted to get a nice photo of the boys before it was harvested, so I took them outside at golden hour and spent about another hour trying to get a shot where both kids were smiling and looking at the camera. Poor Luke, my good picture taker, lost his smile near the end after smiling brilliantly only to hear that Tommy was, of course, not looking at the camera or was glaring at the camera. Oh, Tommy.

I finally got it, though. And just a few days later, the wheat was harvested and now we have an empty field (which is still much preferable to corn because, again, I know nothing lurks within the dark).

DSC_0038

Happy 4th of July from Snoopy and our boys!

8 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Gorgeous!!

Anna said...

I absolutely love that photo! Happy 4th of July to you!

Bari said...

Love the pic - happy 4th!

Kaycee said...

Beautiful!

Becky said...

gorgeous perfect picture!

Foursons said...

Perfect shot! Blow it up and frame it. :)

k said...

We used to play in corn fields at my cousin's house in Ohio and now, as an adult, I can't even believe we did that. Corn fields are hella creepy. Pretty much every movie can attest to their no-good-edness.

The Houser's said...

love winter wheat fields, but our corn isn't so bad this year, you know because of the drought it doesn't go past my shoulders:(
The picture is great, happy summer!!