Saturday, January 28, 2012

half marathon training [week 4]

In this installation of "stuff that is boring to non-runners," things are pretty unremarkable. No new distances or speeds, but I did get to run outside every day this week. And I upped my dumbbells from really, really tiny to really tiny, causing me to walk around wincing in pain all day Thursday.

I am slowly getting used to Monday runs, although they're hard. I've always had Monday as a rest day because let's face it, Mondays are jerks. But to fit in three runs during the week, without doing them all in a row, I kind of had to utilize Monday. Monday is tough because I can't run right after school. Instead, I pick up Luke at school, then pick up Tommy, then dash out the door as soon as Shane gets home. Luckily Monday runs are never longer than three miles, but I still feel a little guilty saying hi and then goodbye to the boys. This particular Monday was stupid windy and I felt like I was running into the wind no matter which direction, but I got it done in 31 minutes and headed back inside to really see my boys.

Tuesday's run was a pain. The bike trail I run on had flooded at some point and then frozen over into a thin sheet of ice. Also, for some reason, there were chunks of wood on the trail. I can't figure this one out, but I was so busy watching for ice that I ended up turning an ankle on a chunk of wood. I am pretty sure I spent more time walking than running Tuesday--and I know I spent all of that time cursing myself for being out there. It was not pretty!

Thursday was a quick one mile run. It's amazing how easy this sounds, but it's really not that easy for me. I take awhile to warm up, and you don't really warm up on a one mile run. I did this in the morning before school, as I had Luke's parent-teacher conference after school (glowing report! so proud!). I have such mixed feelings about running in the dark. On one hand, I love it because it is so quiet and peaceful. Hardly any people or cars. On the other hand, I am a nervous, paranoid freak and I can't really enjoy it. I'd do it more often if there was some guarantee of safety.

This morning, I ran seven miles. I was excited because it's been awhile since I've had a run longer than five miles. I was not so excited when I saw the weather. A few inches of snow and wind gusts of up to 35 mph? I can handle the snow, but the wind. I hate you, wind. There was just enough snow to make running difficult. My usual strategy of cutting through the school parking lot and frontage road because they are always clear was a fail, as they were clear of snow, but not clear of ice. Instead of running through a clear path, I had to walk in the snow piled to the side of the road to keep from slipping! After this, I was happy to be back in the snow covered sidewalks and roads. I ended up miscalculating distance and finished my run not only uphill, but straight into the wind. I must've looked so comical. I was making running motions, but I swear I was moving backwards. Dealing with the wind and dodging snow plows was a little (okay, a lot) annoying, but it felt so good to be out there this morning. My muscles are screaming at me a little, so I'll definitely be spending some time with my foam roller today and tomorrow.
When I stopped for a snow plow at one point, I turned around and saw this view.

Isn't that beautiful? The path is the old railroad path. I always think about running down there, but I'm not sure if it belongs to someone or if there are hunters out there, so I don't want to go by myself. If anyone is ever up for a trail run/exploration, I would totally make them run this with me. Regardless, it was a beautiful sight this morning and I'm so glad I was there to see it.

11 comments:

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Kudos! I would not run in the wind. Or the snow.

Lori @ Hit the Ground Running said...

this cracked me up! --> " I was making running motions, but I swear I was moving backwards." I know how this feels!

You're doing fabulous on your training...it's nice that you're a week ahead of me, I know what to expect! Week #4 is in the books for you!

Martina said...

I love reading about your training. All these miles seem so out of reach and here you are kicking ass! You're going to have an awesome half.

Jennifer said...

I ran in the wind today- just two miles- and YES. I felt like I was making running motions but I wasn't MOVING. Blargh. It was such a nice day- cold, but sunshine!- but man, that wind made it so tough.

Foursons said...

I need to get back on the horse. Something fierce. I haven't done squat in a while. *sigh*

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I wish I could hear your thoughts as you run! I do love seeing when you tweet your runs. Makes me smile. So proud and excited for you.

Steph

Bari said...

Great training week! You are getting really fast, Erin. It's awesome!

Unknown said...

And I thought my half in rain and 40 degrees was bad! (I still do by the way...) ;P

You're awesome, like I think I say every week!!!

Kaycee said...

I must apologize but the making running motions and moving backwards image? Cracked me up!!! Good for you for keeping up with this!

Jen said...

You rock! I have said before you inspire me.

Never in a million years would I have thought I would be a runner...not even sure I qualify as one yet but I sure love it and for the first time in my life I am in control of my health.

Way to go, Erin!

Jen

Andi said...

Mondays are total jerks! I hate when I have to run on Mondays, but alas, it's part of the training plan and that just sucks.

BEAUTIFUL view. If I lived near I'd totally run that with you.