Monday, September 1, 2008

You'd Have My Vote

If you're reading this and you're a presidential candidate (and I'm sure you guys--and gals, apparently--have nothing better to do than peruse my blog), let me tell you how to snag my vote. Sure, you could promise to cut taxes, but to be honest, I don't mind paying taxes that much. If my tax dollars go to good programs, I'm pretty pleased. No, to get my vote, all you have to do is make EVERY weekend a three-day weekend. Not too hard, right? I'm not particular about whether we get a Friday or a Monday off, just as long as one of them is no longer a work day. Hey, you could even alternate!

Here is why I think three-day weekends rule: On a normal two-day weekend (AKA, LAME), I really only get so much done. I spend one day grocery shopping, and I spend another day doing laundry. By Sunday night, I feel as it has all gone too fast. But on a three-day weekend, I get those things done and STILL have a day to play! You see? It's perfect.
Why, what did I do on this three-day weekend? Saturday, I went out for bagels and coffee at a local place, then I went grocery shopping, followed by a walk to the library. Saturday afternoon, I did some laundry, but it was pretty laid back, as I knew that I had TWO MORE DAYS to deal with the laundry.

On Sunday, we went to a winery with friends. This was pretty sweet because instead of being all, Ooh, I have to WORK tomorrow, I was all, Hey guys, let's buy a bottle of chilled champagne and go watch a Jim Gaffigan DVD, because WE DON'T HAVE TO WORK TOMORROW.

Incidentally, Future Presidents, imposing a law that all bottles of wine must cost no more than $4 would be a pretty sweet thing to do.

Today, we went to a parade. Parades are generally cool because they involve things like balloons and free candy, but I'm not insisting that every three-day weekend involve a parade. One every so often would be nice, though. Hey, Barry and Johnny (Barack Obama and John McCain to those of you who aren't supplying the candidates with totally awesome ideas), maybe you could throw a parade in my honor for giving you a winning idea? Just a thought.



Now, I'm certain there would be some logistics to work out, in terms of salary changes or how to fit 40 hours into 4 days, but I'll let you Presidential types debate on those points.

10 comments:

Flux said...

i would GLADLY work 4 10-hour days if i had three off in a row at the end of it.

Cassie said...

3 day weekends every weekend would be awesome. I'd love to have my husband home more often. And the $4 wine thing? I concur! haha.

Meghan said...

I love my three-day weekends!

I won't lie, 10-hour days are pretty rough at the outset but I'm about a month in and I'm not dead yet, so that's positive.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh, must know which DVD you are talking about! We are so in the mood for Jim Gaffigan! And the 3 day weekend idea is genius.

Steph

Christi S said...

Oh, I'm in! I'll vote for YOU for President if you can get us three day weekends!! And we would save on gas, too, right?! Another selling point!

Jenni said...

I second your 3 day weekend idea!

Unknown said...

Did somebody saw $4.00 wine? Try trader joes - chuck is great.

Mel said...

I love it!! Definitely something to look into. I had heard that some school districts were doing this to cut back on electricity and bussing costs. After I thought about it, I would totally be in! My friend brought up a good point though about daycare. It would stink to have to find one day of daycare for your children. Oh well though...it would rock for me!!

MaricrisG said...

Hail to you! You should have been one of the candidates! I love that idea. 3 day weekend - fun! I had to work today so it stinks! But oh well...can't complain, need the job to stay afloat- argh! :) Glad you had fun! see my green with envy now.LOL!

Barbara said...

People who work at DMV (at least those in California) now work a 4 day week. Changed 8 hr days to 10 hr days.