Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Rock Me Baby

I have a confession to make: I still rock my baby to sleep every night. And yes, that baby is 19 months old. I've heard all the warnings that he'll never be able to sleep without rocking, but you know what? I've never met a 26 year old who needs to be rocked to sleep. I'm just sayin'.

Toward the end of my pregnancy, I used to sit in the glider and rock every night. I'd talk to my stomach and tell him (though I didn't know for sure I had a him in there) that we were ready for him. Our first night home from the hospital, I rocked with him snuggled in my arms, and I could hardly believe he was here. Since then, we've rocked nearly every night. As he grows, his feet dangle off my lap, and it's not the same snug fit we once had. But somehow, his body still molds itself into my arms as he sinks into sleep.

This is our quiet time, our time to nurse, and then cuddle into each other. I smell his hair, I study his impossibly long eyelashes,

8 comments:

MaricrisG said...

You know what, every baby is different. It just so happen that your baby and mine are the same. But after the rocking stage, she resorted to another "habit"- burrowing her hands under my sleeves or anywhere there is skin! crazy! she's 4 years old now and still doin' it!

E said...

This is a sweet post, and makes me want to have a baby. :)

Anonymous said...

ERIN! Way to make me cry!!! This is so sweet. You are the mother I hope I can be when the time is right. You are amazing. <3

Jenni said...

That is VERY sweet! I say keep rocking him! They grow up so fast!

Tara said...

I don't think you can ever love your baby enough....have you read the book "I'll love you forever." It'll melt your soul! I've rocked all 5 of my babies until they asked me to stop :O) Enjoy it while you can....

Anonymous said...

I rocked Haley to sleep until she was a little older than 2, then she just didn't need it anymore.

I love rocking Alyssa to sleep. I sit in my rocking chair in the room with just us 2, we sing, talk, laugh and snuggle. Its our time to bond, and I wouldn't change anything

Mom said...

I'm still rocking my 14 month old & will for as long as I can! My 5 y/o is into snuggling before bedtime & I think that rocking helped lead to it. Enjoy it!

Unknown said...

I rock my son to sleep too. I have cut the rocking short and am able to put him down after about five minutes but I still do it. Your son will be fine, after awhile he is not going to want to rock so enjoy it while you can.