Wednesday, May 20, 2015

What I Read Wednesday

I didn't get much reading done this week… May is so busy!

The Walls Around Us
This is one of those books that gets inside of your head. Ori and Violet are prima ballerinas, the only difference between the two is Ori's natural talent. Violet is precise and perfect in her actions, but she cannot hold a candle next to Ori. Until Ori gets sent to a juvenile detention center for the brutal murder of two other ballerinas, while Violet takes her place as the ballet star. In the midst of this, you have Amber who is Ori's roommate at the juvenile detention center. She possibly killed her stepfather, or maybe she just thought about it--everything in this book has two sides. Then, all of the girls at the detention center die, but the ghosts of what they've left behind still haunt the ruined walls. The ending of the book went a place that I didn't envision. This is one that is hard to describe or review, but it was well crafted.

So You've Been Publicly Shamed
For a book about public shaming, parts of this book were pretty boring. That said, it definitely helped me look at things in a new light--like the public shaming of Justine Sacco, who made an ill-worded tweet about going to Africa and not having to worry about getting AIDs because she's white. Her defense was that she was mocking white privilege and foolishness and her less than 200 followers would have understood. Unfortunately, it was picked up and retweeted by someone with thousands of followers and blown way out of context. At the very least, it was good lesson in the staying power of your words and pictures. In that aspect, this book should be required reading for every teenager.

What are you reading?

4 comments:

Theresa Mahoney said...

I just finished All The Bright Places. Loved that one. I just stared One Plus One, which I think was another of your recommendations? I had those two close together in my reading list so I think it is yours. There are 3 bloggers I compile reading lists from, but I think I like your recommendations most :)

Barb Ruess said...

I read two books that I really enjoyed this past week. I feel like it's been a while since that happened!

First: The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. I think I smiled the entire time I read this implausibly amusing story. As the title states, Allan just walks away on his 100th birthday and the adventure that ensues is crazy. Then through flashbacks you realize, it's par for the course - Allan is like Sweden's Forrest Gump. Very enjoyable.

Second: Ruby. I don't think I could have picked two more opposite tones in books this week. This is the story of a girl who was dealt hell for a life - a hell that becomes more clear as the story goes on and you see how the evil in this town has affected others. This is not a book of rainbows & ponies - it's disturbing but ultimately a story of the power of love. I couldn't put it down.

One crazed mommy said...

My son just turned 10 and had a birthday party at our house last weekend - no reading got done! Hopefully this long weekend will be much more relaxing. :) Have added more books to my wish list...all of the books you, Theresa and Barb listed have been added...I'll never get to them all...but I'll try. : )

Unknown said...

I recently read The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating which was kind of fascinating. Who knew snails were such cool creatures? Not me...until I read this book. Then I read A Fall of Marigolds. I agree with other commenters that it was interesting but not the best book I ever read. Now I am reading The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant.