Wednesday, April 24, 2013

What I Read Wednesday

The Storyteller
Sometimes I like to read Jodi Picoult books because I can turn off my brain. The plot twist is easy to figure out, the story is at least engaging enough to keep me going and I don't have to think too much. Which is not to knock anyone who loves Jodi Picoult, I'm just not a huge fan. This one was a good story, although somewhat cliched for Holocaust based fiction. Still, it was overall an engaging read.

The Distant Hours
I really loved The Forgotten Garden and The House at Riverton by the same author, but I didn't get into this one as much. Overall, I enjoyed the story of Percy, Saffy, Juniper and their controlling, addled father, but I didn't connect with them as much as I have the characters in her other stories. The ending finally grabbed me, but the first two hundred pages were slow for me.

Paper Towns
Obviously I really like John Green--this one was no exception. I would say this is also somewhat a coming of age story, but again, with a twist. Quentin is on the fringes of high school, a few close friends, but mostly harassed by the popular kids. His neighbor and former childhood friend, Margo Roth Spiegelman is popular and unattainable, until the night she appears at his bedroom window and leads him on an adventure, giving him hope that they can be friends again. Except that she disappears the next day, leaving him to piece everything together as his high school years wind to a close.

What are you reading?

4 comments:

One crazed mommy said...

I just started the Divergent series, so that will keep me occupied for a couple weeks. I have Paper Towns on my wish list, along with about 150 others...it's so hard to choose what to read next with so many good suggestions. :)

Barb Ruess said...

I feel the same way about Piccoult's books - when the mood strikes, I do enjoy them. I just finished The Piano Teacher which surprised me but how much it grabbed me. Up next The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards. I wish I could take some time off today and just curl up and read.

Lyndsay said...

What am I reading you ask? Plainsong because you told me to and I'm loving it.

InTheFastLane said...

I am still reading the same book I started at the end of spring break. And when I say "reading" I mean falling into bed exhausted after running kids to and fro and thinking about picking up a book and then falling asleep.