Monday, December 5, 2011

It's Beginning To Feel...

A teeny, tiny bit like Christmas. A very tiny bit. Actually, scratch that. I keep forgetting it's December. Saturday, I ran past a sign advertising a pancake breakfast for December 4 and I thought, "That's weird. Why would they have that up so soon?" Then I ran about a half mile and interspersed with my usual thoughts of wondering why the hell I punish myself by running, I thought, "Wait! December 4 is TOMORROW."
I'm really feeling very challenged by the calendar lately. Part of my confusion has to do with the lack of snow and fairly mild temperatures. THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT. I do not need snow, no, I don't. But at the end of October, I bought a ton of cold weather running gear to prepare for running right now and so far, I'm just wearing tights and a long-sleeved shirt. And by the end of the first mile, I've pushed up my sleeves.

We don't yet have our tree. We get a real tree and usually wait until mid-December to cut it. I hate when the needles dry out and fall on the floor. We'll get our tree Saturday and I'm pretty excited. We have lights up outside the house and have since December 1st. I love how they brighten everything.
Yesterday, I put up the Fisher Price nativity set. I hate the Willow Tree nativity set and spent years building up to the full set. We used to place it on a table in our living room, but Tommy is very much at the age where he likes to smash things, so this year, we put the plastic nativity set in the living room. This morning, he went barreling at it full speed and knocked over the camels and the shepherds. I said, "Watch out, Bethlehem. Here comes the Tommy tornado."

We do, however, have our Willow Tree set up downstairs. Actually, it stays up all year long. Someone (who is related to me by marriage, but that's all I'll say) made fun of us for having it up in June, implying that we were lazy and hadn't yet taken down our Christmas decorations.


Not so. Regardless of what you believe or don't believe, isn't it simply a message of hope? Even if you think the Christmas story is just that--a story--thematically, it's a story of hope and don't we need hope year round? Not just for a few weeks in December?

12 comments:

Kassandra said...

We have a Willow Tree natvity set too. I put it up BEFORE Thanksgiving and don't usually take it down until AFTER Easter. I like it that way b/c it is hopeful and hope is something we need as much of as we can get in our house!

Rebecca Baker-Palmer said...

i am building my willow tree nativity. right now, i just have mary, joseph, the shepherd, the sheep, and the three wise men. i'll get more as we go on. but i really like the idea of having up year round! i might move it from the mantle to somewhere else, but it's the belief that we care all year as christians, so why shouldn't we? we're not talking about christmas lights strung around the room with duct tape (ahem)...we're talking about symbols of our lord's birth story. :) i like it!

Julie said...

I think I'm going to work in "Watch Out Bethlehem!" into my everyday conversation today. ;-)

Kate said...

I love that you have your nativity set up year round. Love that.

I'm struggling with Christmas -- decorations, weather, the "feeling" that it's Christmas. And you're right, it's more than that. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Corrina said...

Perhaps this is an issue for working moms! I wrote a post last night about similar feelings. I need to get the Little People Nativity. I don't have one at all :( I've never found one I truly liked--maybe I need to collect the willow tree one, but I know the Little People would be awesome for my kids.

Tasha Lehman said...

I love that you leave it out all year! Whack those nay-sayers over the head with baby Jesus for me, will ya?

Adam said...

I do love the Little People nativity set. It's cute and all, but mostly it's just nice to have a set the kids can properly thrash without repercussions. Every crèche is just calling out to be played with. And broken.

Foursons said...

You would so laugh at me if you saw how I'm bundling up to go running in 60* weather. It is COLD for us down here!

Zakary said...

Oh man, Erin. I so get this.

I want another baby, I do. So badly. But I love my home office. And I love my wine and my sleep.

Love you.

keli [at] kidnapped by suburbia said...

this is so sweet and so true. and i loved seeing your set in October. so there. ;)

keli [at] kidnapped by suburbia said...

this is so sweet and so true. and i loved seeing your set in October. so there. ;)

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

You just reminded me that my mother in law gave me this nativity set for christmas last year. I better find it and put it out before she comes to visit next. whoops.