With all the mothers losing their precious babies lately, I've thought more than ever about how lucky I am to be a mom. Thursday night, I let Luke fall asleep in bed next to me just so I could hold him. It's fitting that Jaye tagged me for this wonderful meme that involves listing five reasons why I love being a mom.
1. I love that when the 4AM nightmares hit, I'm the one whose arms he curls into. I don't love waking up so much, but I love that I can calm him. I love that when the 4AM nightmare hit, and I tripped over something when we went to go get milk, he said, "Careful, mama, no booboos." I love that even though he was sad and scared, he still loves me enough to tell me to be careful. I'm thankful that he's growing into a compassionate little person.
2. I love that when I went to leave this morning, he said, "Where mama baby belly go?" then made me unbutton my coat and pull up my shirt so he could kiss my stomach and say, "Hi baby!"
3. I love being pregnant. Really, I do. I love feeling the baby kick and tumble. I love wondering if it's a girl or a boy, if he/she will look more like Shane or more like me. I love always knowing that the baby is safe because I feel the kicks and nudges that let me know that.
4. I love those moments that make you melt. The moments when Luke decides he needs a kiss so badly that he'll take my head in both his hands and won't let go until he gives me a big kiss. I love that yesterday our day consisted of little more than cuddling on the couch and watching Thomas DVDs, followed by cuddling in bed and napping for three hours, yet I can't imagine a better day.
5. I love that he's mine. From the moment I saw two lines on the pregnancy test, he was mine. Even when I knew that logically he was just a clump of cells, he was still my baby. And when he came into this world, I couldn't remember the days without him.
I'm not going to tag anyone, just do this if you feel compelled. Or if you don't feel like doing the meme yourself, let me know what you love about being a mom. Because every single one of us is so, so lucky.
Oh, and for anyone planning to visit me at the hospital after this baby is born, please do not bring me skin firming cream like the bottle in the background there. Because giving a new mom such a gift might seem nice and practical, but really, it will make her want to throw it at your head. Hard.